Monday, June 20, 2016

Tribes

At the heart of unschooling is the idea that a person should let their passions guide their learning.  As Liam's interests bring him in and out of various groups, I also hope he will find people with whom he can connect - his "tribe."

It happened at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, when we met a couple of young adults who were happy to cast spells and write about them in special spell books, excitedly and lovingly sharing details of the movies with Liam, a new inductee into the fan-world of Harry Potter.  I could see that in this group, he was immediately accepted.

It happened the first time Liam sat at the keyboard during Rock Band class, he was fully engrossed in the musical conversation and was able to follow along.  He "got it" and he was in.

Today, we're taking a bigger step and starting Rock Band Camp - three hours a day, four days a week for two weeks.  I hope the smile I often saw on his face during Band class stays.  I hope that music can be for him what Theater became for me.

I was the kind of kid who was perfectly happy to spend hours reading, drawing or writing by myself.  It wasn't until I fell in love with acting, that I found something that REQUIRED me to be fully engaged with a whole group of people.  Music may do that for Liam.  Or it might not.  At the very least, it will shake up our daily routines and that is never a bad thing.

Rock On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We hope that sharing our journey will inspire other parents to find the most useful path to developing their own child's stengths. If you have a comment or question, feel free to post. We will review all posts before publishing, to ensure a kind, respectful discussion.